Are you feeling all burned out? What you should know about some energy-saving light bulbs! Thank goodness for smoke detectors.
I wanted to pass on this important information I recently received from a friend. The story goes like this...one day a homeowner went into the bathroom and turned the light on. The homeowner immediately smelled smoke after a few minutes. Flames were appearing out of the The homeowner turned the lights off instantly. Could you imagine if one of your children turned the lights on and left the room leaving the lights on as children sometimes do?
In doing some research, it seems that bulbs made by Globe in China seem to have problems. Lots of fires have been blamed on misuse of CFL bulbs, like using them in recessed lighting, dimmers, or in track lighting. In this case, it was a normal light socket.
The light bulb was taken to the Fire Department. The Firemen weren't at all surprised and said that it was not an uncommon occurrence. Apparently, sometimes when the bulb burns out there is a chance that the ballast can start a fire. Evidently, the Fire Marshall had issued reports about the dangers of these bulbs.
If you want to learn more about potential issues with some of these CFL bulbs, visit: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp